Monday, August 6, 2012

Heart-to-heart, shoulder-to-shoulder with my brothers

Russ Davidson with "Bao" &
Nelson Mandela bust
at Robben Island terminal.
During the South African mission we are asking members of “Arise O Man,” the name of the combined choruses, to share stories or thoughts about how God is great, what God has done in their lives, how he has provided a way to participate in the mission, or what has made the biggest impression on them during this this mission. Here is one of those stories.

By Russ Davidson 

 The African songs really stand out for me, learning in particular Khutsho and Bawo Thixo Somandhla. When I was made aware of what these songs are about in the African language; a prayer for peace, and asking God, “Why are we killing one another?” And these cries to God for peace in Africa — it was brought home to me that this is where those kinds of things were happening. 

 I live in America; I hear about troubles in Africa and they hurt me deeply, but I can’t live my life in pain, but what can I do? I feel helpless, because I live in America. 

So when those things were actually going on, I would hear about it, they would pain me, but I would have to put them aside and think about other things, because those were things for Africa to solve – that was my attitude, because I can’t carry the pain of the world and be a functional human being. 

 Now that I’m here, and I feel that God has called me to be here, standing shoulder to shoulder with my African brothers, to hear and to feel their sense of pain and longing for it to end, and pleading to God for peace, and questions to God of why we are doing this to one another, and praying for peace in Africa, there is this very strong spirit of unity. Heart-to-heart and shoulder-to-shoulder. It is a very emotional moment to live that with my African brothers and to sing about it. 

I’m blessed to live in America; I have peace and protection from those kinds of evil. It makes me grateful for my experience that I live in America. On the other hand, I want my African brothers to know that I feel their pain and that I’m standing with them. I have the same wish they have: that there may be peace in South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. To prevent spam, all comments will be reviewed by the blog moderator as soon as possible.